John Henry Twachtman was one of the leading American Impressionists and a member of the Ten American Painters group. He was born in 1853 in Cincinnati, Ohio. He studied at the Ohio Mechanics Institute, with Duveneck at the McMicken School of Design in Cincinnati in 1875, and with Loefftz at the Royal Academy, Munich, 1875-77. He went to Venice with Duveneck and W. M. Chase in 1877, and to the Academie Julian, Paris, 1883-85 with Boulanger and Lefevbre. He was a member of the Society of the American Artists, the American Art Club, Munich, the New York Etching Club, the Tile Club, and the Player’s Club.
Twachtman’s paintings were shown in The Ten’s first exhibition, at Durand-Ruel Galleries, New York City, 1898. His work was exhibited at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts; Boston Art Club; Paris Salon; Columbian Exposition, Chicago; National Academy of Design; Art Institute of Chicago; Armory Show of 1913; Lotos Club; Cincinnati Art Museum; Parrish Art Museum; and the High Museum of Art. His works can be found in private and public collections including the Metropolitan Museum of Art; the National Museum of American Art; the Museum of Modern Art; the Brooklyn Museum; the Art Institute of Chicago; the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts; and the Whitney Museum of American Art.
Twachtman’s lyrical, restrained painting style distinguishes him from the other American Impressionists, reflecting his Parisian training and the influence of Whistler.